Pages

May 20, 2012

The Virtual Rendezvous Obesession

What is it about social networking sites that have people hooked onto them 24*7? I mean, being connected via the internet is one thing, but practically living online is something different. I have come across ten year olds with very active face book and twitter accounts.  I wonder if parents react the same way about their children’s time on the internet as the government reacts to Anna Hazare’s campaign against corruption.

One of these days I’m seriously considering hacking into my sisters Face book and twitter accounts to check if some unseen magnetic force is keeping her glued to it. She will not budge unless and until I practically shove her off the chair and then too her eyes are glued to the screen.  Some of my friends have even taken up the “net sanyasi” avatar: Eat, pray and  love,  all over the internet. My sister constantly tweets or changes her facebook status through her phone, another technological advancement boon for her. And if that wasn’t enough, she even has to reply to comments and like other peoples statuses etc.  People are obsessed by it.

I wonder why this bug hasn’t bitten me so hard, not that I don’t have profiles on such sites, but I try to keep myself detached from them and if by any chance I find myself being sucked into this obsessive behavior by the evil forces of  Mark Zukerberg, I immediately deactivate the account and return when my sanity has caught up with me. Maybe I’m not connected enough, as one of my friends puts it, and if that’s the case I’m glad that, that fuse is not working.

Health problems apart, which are affecting a million people worldwide, thanks to staring at the screen for too long or sitting in the same place for long durations of time, don’t people get exhausted. Come on, there is no kidding the fact that a group hangout in the real world is any day better than a chat room rendezvous.

No comments:

Post a Comment